FANS GET A LITTLE CLOSER TO THE MUSIC|
Music fans will get the chance to 'get a little closer' to their favourite artists from 3rd May when Yahoo! Music launches "The Extra Venue" - the new programme that will give music lovers exclusive online content. Yahoo! Music has teamed up with chewing gum giant The Wrigley Company to bring music fans never-seen-before footage including intimate live shows, lifestyle features, interviews and a student music video challenge. This exclusive programme will be kicked off by some of the cream of British talent, The Zutons, Corrine Bailey Rae and Fightstar.
The new online programme called "The Extra Venue" on Yahoo! Music (yahoo.co.uk/extravenue) will have five video segments and will cut out the traditional music television format to bring music fans instant and constantly refreshed live footage from the cream of UK and Irish music talent. The five segments include:
- All Back To Mine - Letting fans get closer to their music heroes, All Back To Mine takes them back to their favourite music star's hometown. Yahoo! Music presents the first 'All Back To Mine' with Corrine Bailey Rae who takes a camera crew on a guided tour of her hometown of Leeds. Other acts will hit the road on tour with the "Extra Venue" film crew and will even invite fans to see their home and browse their personal record collections.
- Live and Up Close - Providing Yahoo! Music fans with the opportunity to get up close and personal with their favourite artists, Live and Up Close will stage live performances from the UK's hottest talent in iconic venues across the country. 'Live and Up Close' launches with a live recording of The Zutons, which took place at West London's famed Neighbourhood club in April. Fans will not only be offered the chance to attend future intimate gigs but will also be able to view these exclusive performances for free.
- Re-Recorded - Offering well-known artists the chance to cover a classic track by one of their favourite artists in their own style.
- Second Cut - Literally putting music in the hands of music fans, Second Cut is a back-to-school initiative allowing students to produce coursework that is both challenging and exciting. Working with selected Universities across the UK and Ireland, Yahoo! Music will finance second year students to re-film music video classics which will then be showcased on the site.
- Queue Jumper - For a few lucky fans, our street team will put an end to queuing misery. Visiting gig queues across the UK, Queue Jumper will be looking for die-hard music fans to prove their loyalty by completing a challenge. In return Yahoo! Music will offer them the chance to win a VIP backstage pass to the gig they're queuing for. The first lucky winners got closer to Fightstar by shooting it out in a water pistol contest.
Yahoo! Music Europe MD Shannon Ferguson comments;
"'The Extra Venue' on Yahoo! Music will give music fans an exclusive, rare opportunity, to get a more intimate view of top talent. We have a real mix of acts from Corrine Bailey Rae to Fightstar and The Zutons, so there is something for everyone. The real beauty of 'The Extra Venue' is that the ground-breaking original content that is custom-made for online and is available to watch for free and on-demand, thanks to The Wrigley Company."
Toby Baker, Marketing Director at Wrigley said: "We were keen to do something that conquered unchartered territory for Wrigley in the UK and so we embarked on our first online partnership.
We are excited about this partnership and the opportunity to offer, through 'The Extra Venue' on Yahoo! Music, access to fantastic, never-before-seen and intimate material from a fantastic line up of artists and bands. "
****'The Extra Venue' will be live on Yahoo! Music (yahoo.co.uk/extravenue) from 3rd May****
For more information please call Nick Griffiths on 0208 964 7643 (email@example.com)
Notes to Editors
1. Yahoo! Music (yahoo.co.uk/music) offers users the most comprehensive music-related content, features and information available online
2. Yahoo! Music provides a wide selection of streaming audio, the web's largest collection of music videos, exclusive artist features and music news covering all genres of music to Yahoo! visitors.
3. Yahoo! Music is also home to LAUNCHcast radio, its free online radio service, which allows users to create their own radio station, listen to dozens of programmed stations ranging from "Electronica" to "Reggae Allstars" or tune in to stations created by icons such as Fischerspooner, Paul Oakenfold and Leah Wood.
4. LAUNCHcast radio reaches more than 3 million people globally making it the world's leading online radio service1, and Yahoo! Music is the No. 1 music site in the UK & Ireland2 reaching more than 1.8 million monthly.
1 Arbitron/ComScore Media Metrix Online Radio Ratings, October 2005
2 #1 Music Category Ranking, Nielsen NetRatings, United Kingdom, March 2006
About the Wrigley Company
The Wrigley Company is the world's leading manufacturer of chewing and bubblegum and a major player in the confectionery industry worldwide.
Some of Wrigley's most famous brands include Wrigley's Extra®, Airwaves®, Orbit®, Juicy Fruit®, Wrigley's Spearmint®, Doublemint® and Hubba Bubba®. Wrigley is committed to diversifying close to home and recently launched its first non-gum products for over one hundred years - Extra™ Thin Ice™ and Extra™ Mints.
For further information please contact Aideen/Rachael or Clare on 020 76189109